Friday 28 November 2008

88 Hampstead Lane

(From A Matter of Life and Death (Powell and Pressburger 1946))

J: Hello G George, hello G George, are you all right? Are you going to try to land, do you want a fix?

P:Name's not G George it's P Peter, Peter D Carter, D's for David, Squadron Leader Peter Carter. No, I'm not going to land, undercarriage is gone, inner port's on fire, I'm bailing out presently, I'm bailing out. ……Take a telegram.

J: Got your message, received your message, we can hear you.

P: Telegram to my mother, Mrs Michael Carter, 88 Hampstead Lane, London North West.

J: 88 Hampstead Lane, London.



Peter's mother apparently lived right next to Hampstead Heath, but it now seems to be stuck right next to a council tip, its hard to tell. I will go and find out...

No comments: